Colin Wayne Leach
Ph.D., University of Michigan, 1995
General Area of Research
Status and Morality in Identity, Emotion, and Motivation
Professor Leach is a social and personality psychologist who studies status and morality in identity, emotion, and motivation. He is an elected fellow of the Society of Experimental Social Psychology and the Society of Personality and Social Psychology. Colin is a 2017 recipient of the Kurt Lewin medal for scientific contribution from the European Association of Social Psychology and has held (U.C. Berkeley) Chancellors, Ford Foundation, and Wallenberg Foundation research fellowships. He has lectured in over a dozen countries and has been a visiting professor on four continents. In addition to authoring nearly 100 journal articles and book chapters, Colin has co-edited the volumes Psychology as Politics (Political Psychology, 2001), Immigrant Life in the U.S. (Routledge, 2003), The Social Life of Emotions (Cambridge, 2004), and Societal Change (Journal of Social & Political Psychology, 2013). He is currently co-editor of the journal Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin.
- Allen, A.E. & Leach, C.W.(2018). The psychology of Martin Luther King Jr.’s “creative maladjustment” at societal injustice. Journal of Social Issues, 74, 317-336.
- Leach, C.W.& Allen, A.E.(2017). Social psychological models of protest and the Black Lives Matter meme and movement. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 26, 543-547.
- Leach, C.W.(2017). Understanding Shame and Guilt. In L. Woodyatt, E. Worthington, M. Wenzel & B. Griffin (Eds.)Handbook of the Psychology of Self-forgiveness (pp.17-28). New York:Springer.
- Reinka, M.A.& Leach, C.W.(2017). Race and reactions to police violence and protest against it.Journal of Social Issues, 73, 768-788.
- Leach, C.W., Çelik, A.B., Bilali, R., Cidam, A., & Stewart, A.L. (2016). Being there: The 2013 anti-government protests in Istanbul, Turkey. Contention: The Multidisciplinary Journal of Social Protest, 4, 25-37.
- Leach, C.W.& Cidam, A. (2015). When is shame linked to constructive approach orientation? A meta-analysis. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 109, 983-1002.
- Leach, C.W.& Livingstone, A. (2015). Contesting the meaning of inter-group disadvantage: Towards a psychology of resistance. Journal of Social Issues, 71, 614-632.
- Leach, C.W., Bilali, R., Pagliaro, S. (2015).Groups and Morality.In M. Mikulincer, P.R. Shaver, J.F. Dovidio & J. Simpson (Eds.)APA Handbook of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 2: Group Processes (pp.123-149). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.