All prospective students must apply to Columbia University using the online process.
The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences is no longer printing applications to be mailed. Online applications are submitted here.
Before applying online, please check first to be sure you meet the following system requirements:
- Supported web browsers include Internet Explorer 5 and above, Netscape 6 and above, Safari (for Macintosh users), and Mozilla/Firefox.
- Do not use AOL's internal browser.
- Pop-up blockers should be disabled.
- You must logout of the online application after each session.
You may submit your on-line application, even if your professors have not yet submitted the academic references.
When the reference letters are submitted, they will be attached to your application. The application deadline is December 1, 2021.
Your application must include the following information:
- A completed on-line application.
- A non-refundable fee of $120 for on-line application made payable to Columbia University.
- A transcript or record (e.g., web-based transcripts, mark sheets, relevé de notes) of any academic work from each university-level institution you have attended for use in review of your application.
- Three letters of recommendation - must be submitted through the GSAS online application system. Letters of recommendation may not be sent via email, nor may paper letters be sent via postal mail. All letters must be uploaded by the recommender directly to the application system.
- A statement of academic purpose submitted on-line.
- GRE scores (official copies must be sent directly from ETS). *Please note that GRE scores will be waived for Fall 2022 admission due to the pandemic.
- If applicable, results of the TOEFL or IELTS examination.
You can work on the various parts of your application sporadically.
You must save all information each time you use the on-line system.
You may check the status of your application on the “Application Status screen”. You will be able to access this screen only after your application has been submitted.
For more info on using the Application please visit GSAS Admission page