All prospective students must apply to Columbia University using the online process.
The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences is no longer printing applications to be mailed. Online applications are submitted here.
Before applying online, please check first to be sure you meet the following system requirements:
- Supported web browsers include Internet Explorer 5 and above, Netscape 6 and above, Safari (for Macintosh users), and Mozilla/Firefox.
- Do not use AOL's internal browser.
- Pop-up blockers should be disabled.
- You must logout of the online application after each session.
You may submit your on-line application, even if your professors have not yet submitted the academic references.
When the reference letters are submitted, they will be attached to your application. The application deadline is December 7, 2018.
Your application must include the following information:
- A completed on-line application.
- A non-refundable fee of $105 for on-line application made payable to Columbia University.
- One official complete set of transcripts submitted on-line reflecting all undergraduate and graduate work, if any. Upon acceptance into GSAS, sealed transcript(s) with the signature of an authorized official across the envelope seal should then be submitted to GSAS.
- Three letters of recommendation - if professors are unable to submit academic references on-line, the recommendations should be mailed to the GSAS Office of Admissions in a sealed envelope signed by the professor with a Letter of Recommendation Cover Sheet to the GSAS address listed below:
Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
108 Low Memorial Library
535 West 116th Street, MC 4303
New York, NY 10027
- A statement of academic purpose submitted on-line.
- GRE scores (official copies must be sent directly from ETS).
- If applicable, results of the TOEFL or IELTS examination.
You can work on the various parts of your application sporadically.
You must save all information each time you use the on-line system.
You can view the status of your application in an on-line PDF form in the GSAS Admissions Application found in the DOWNLOADABLE FORMS section of the application 5-10 business days after you have submitted your application materials. When documents such as academic references are submitted on-line on your behalf, you will receive a confirmation from GSAS Apply Yourself. Documents submitted on your behalf by post may take longer to appear on your application status PDF.